Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thursday's Dream Scheme's/ A lovely sketch from Terrece





To keep the Memories Mists contained I made a "spray booth" out of a cardboard box, placed my paper inside and then sprayed the entire paper with the Pale Ale color of Memories Mists Spray, so this is the background color behind the bird and swirls. To accomplish this, hold the spray bottle about 12-18 inches away from the paper. Position the stencil where you want your design to be sprayed. (When you are spraying stencils with the Memories Mists do not use tape to position the stencil on the cardstock because the moisture from the spray will cause the tape to leave a sticky residue on the paper.) Now hold a piece of copy paper over the part of the card that extends beyond the stencil to protect it from too much spray. Holding this paper about one inch above the surface of the card when you spray will create a softer-edged design and will keep the areas you are masking from getting too much color sprayed on them. Then move the stencil to another position and spray using a second color of spray, this time I used a very light misting of the Amaretto colored Memories Mists and then a heavier loading of the metallic color Bright Gold. The spray on the paper is dry immediately but there is now a fine mist of spray on the stencil and you can take a stencil brush and very softly move the color by rouging this leftover ink into the stencil holes for a beautiful stenciled image, while it is still in place. I used this on the large corner swirl stencil (LJ896), the small bird (LS94) and for the finishing touch I stenciled yellow ochre and brown pigment ink off the edge of the deckle edged plate (LJ880) to create the three deckle strips on the right side of the card for the added collage effect.

I have an instruction sheet all about collage techniques using the Memories Mists Sprays, just email me at lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com if you would like me to send you a copy.

If you are inspired this week, play along with us and do something with Terrece's sketch. We love to see your projects.


7 comments:

Louise said...

So lovely, I'll have to try using a stencil brush to deepen the image, I've never done that before I just use the sprays. Thanks for the inspiration.

Deborah March said...

Yet another dreamy technique I MUST try from the stencil queen! Lovely Lynell...

Terrece said...

I LOVE IT!! I never would have thought to do the torn edge look. Very cool. Your interpretation is fantastic. This is why you are the Queen of Stenciling.

sommrstamping said...

Wow, this is stunning, but then anything you do is pretty incredible, I'm going to have to play a little more with some of these techniques.

Wendy said...

This is great Lynell!! I love Memory Mists. I will start collecting them soon!!!

Pam Hornschu said...

I love those Memories Mists for just the same reasons that you mentioned. That torn paper edge for the lines on the side of the sketch, is a very cool look!

Laura Drahozal said...

Very classy, as always, Lynell. I also love that ripped edge look for the stripes. The mist use is just dreamy, but the black mats rein it in. Perfect!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive